Strawberry Short Cake (Shvinaigrort Cake)
Smoked Olive Oil Cake with Smoked Balsamic Macerated Strawberries and Basil Whipped Cream
This is our play on a Strawberry Shortcake. Strawberry season is here and what better way to celebrate it than with a little bit of a twist on such a classic dessert.
Smoked Olive Oil Cake
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 Cups Sugar
- 1 1⁄2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Holy Smoke Smoked Olive Oil
- 1 1⁄4 Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1⁄4 Cup Grand Marnier
- Juice From 1 Large Orange
- Zest From 1 Large Orange
Heat the oven to 350° F. Oil, butter, or spray a 9-inch cake pan that is at least 2
inches deep with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. (If your
cake pan is less than 2 inches deep, divide between 2 pans and start checking for
doneness at 30 minutes.) In a bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. In another bowl, whisk the olive oil, milk, eggs, orange zest and juice and Grand Marnier. Add the dry ingredients; whisk until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool for 30 minutes.
Run a knife around the edge of the pan, invert the cake onto the rack and let cool
completely, 2 hours.
This Recipe was adapted from Maialino's Olive Oil Cake Recipe.
Smoked Balsamic Macerated Strawberries
- 1 Pound Fresh Strawberries (Sliced thick)
- 1 Tablespoon Holy Smoke Smoked Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Holy Smoke Smoked Wildflower Honey
- Holy Smoke Smoked Black Pepper To Taste (Optional)
Toss all ingredients in a bowl and let sit for 30 minutes making sure to toss every 10 minutes.
Basil Whipped Cream
- 1 Pint Heavy Wipping Cream
- 1⁄2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Basil (Chiffonade) (If you can find it Lemon Basil is amazing)